Scanning Large Format Slides

Welcome to Manassas Warrenton Camera Club Forums Get Help Here! Scanning Large Format Slides

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bryan Wilburn 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Theodore Kelly
    Participant

Hi all.

In my historical research I’ve come across a cache of large format (3″x3″) glass slides — a mix of color and black and white — from the late 1920s/early 1930s that I want to make high quality scans of.

I made a first try at the scanning process today, but my scanner doesn’t have a transparent media adapter (TMA) large enough for these slides (it only goes to 2×3). Trying to scan them just on the platen of the scanner was a fail, because the scanner focuses on the labels along the edge and not on the image itself — so, clear label, fuzzy image.

Has anyone ever rigged up a TMA for larger format slides? And if so, how did it work? Canon does not offer one and I’d rather not go out and purchase an entirely new (and expensive) scanner for this work.

Thanks.

Mills

Bryan Wilburn
    Participant

I use an Epson 850 Pro, it comes with multiple film format holders. I’ve used it to san my 4×5 chromes, BW & color negs, as well as my 35mm slide collection. It’s a serious investment, but as I have several thousand subjects to scan in 35, 645 and 4×5, I decided to get it. It’s one of the few that can go up to 4×5.

If you want to try it, let me know.

Bryan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.